Lash Educator Requirements

May 16, 2023



A common question we get asked at NALA head office is “What qualifications do I need to become a lash educator?”.


Whether you’re searching for the lash educator regulations in Canada, the USA , or anywhere else, you’ll likely find there are no government requirements for teaching lash extension training courses. This is because lash courses are a certification course rather than a license, diploma or degree, therefore the government doesn’t typically set any regulations. There are some states and provinces however that have put rules in place, so check with your local cosmetology board to before investing in your certification for lash educators.


Although most areas have no government requirements for teaching lash courses, the insurance companies require a formal qualification as an educator. The certificate earned through NALA School for Lash Trainers is accepted by most insurance companies around the world. In Australia it is commonly accepted in lieu of the Cert IV (please ask your insurance provider for confirmation).


In order to earn your educator certificate without applying for Academy Accreditation there are no prerequisites to complete the course and get certified. In order to qualify for NALA Academy Accreditaiton you are required to have a minimum of one year experience as a lash artists and your business must meet the NALA criteria.


So let’s recap:


GOVERNMENT REQUIREMENTS - there probably aren’t any prerequisites to teach lash courses but you must double check your local rules to be sure.

INSURANCE COMPANIES -  a formal educator certificate from a recognized organization, such as NALA, is required by insurance companies.

NALA - there are no prerequisites to take our educator course through NALA School for Lash Trainers and earn your certificate but there are prerequisites to qualify for NALA Academy Accreditaiton. 


Disclaimer: This blog is intended for informational purposes and is not intended to replace formal business advice, financial advice, government regulations, or any other form of legal advice.